A spectacular home, indeed! This remodeled 4 bed, 3 bath 2,343sqft Victorian is the family home of a gifted private chef and the former Editor-in-Chief of Sunset Magazine, situated on a 8,487sqft lot in the heart of Alameda within walking distance to charming Park Street and several excellent schools.
Architect Ethan Andersen and interior designer Lynn K. Leonidas oversaw the $450k transformation in 2016, modernizing the layout and finishes while accentuating historic details like the grand staircase, generous windows and 11’ ceilings. A warm neutral paint palette with dark trim and custom window shades create a soothing, elegant mood throughout the home.
On the first floor, the welcoming entry hall and generous living room receive natural light from large bay windows, and a punch of modern light from the bronze and glass LED rod chandelier. Opposite the main entry, the spectacular chef’s kitchen awaits: antique brass Waterworks faucets, copper sinks, double-height cabinetry accessed by a library-style ladder, layered statement lighting, Fireclay tile backsplash and walls, and DCS stainless steel appliances including a double dishwasher and 80” refrigerator. French doors accented by an original stained glass transom window open to the rear patio, creating that coveted indoor-outdoor feel. Enjoy casual meals in the light-filled breakfast nook with custom leather bench seats, or entertain in the formal dining room with its tiled decorative fireplace. Through the kitchen at the back of the house sits a glamorous guest suite with embossed Thibaut wallpaper. The adjoining bath features dramatic tile by Kelly Wearstler for Ann Sacks, brass sconces, and a floating sink.
On your way up the dramatic curving central staircase to 3 upstairs bedrooms and 2 full baths, you’ll pass an original 6-foot stained glass window. The stunning master suite features a large built-in closet area, Thibaut toile wallpaper, and bathroom with custom Caesarstone shower and floors, Rejuvenation aged brass fixtures, and ultra-clear frameless glass shower doors. Across the hall, a second bathroom features a large soaking tub and old fashioned sink. Carrara marble accents, mink gray subway tile, and fish-scale mosaic tile mix to create an inviting space with the hidden convenience of stacked laundry near the bedrooms. At one end of the hall, a third bedroom benefits from more large windows and a Container Store Elfa closet system. At the other end of the hall, the fourth bedroom also works well as a playroom or office space, with large bay windows over a built-in bench seat and two closets.
Outdoors, a freshly painted exterior sets off beautifully landscaped areas on the large property. In the front yard, find a rose garden, multiple citrus trees, fig, avocado and maple trees, raised vegetable and flower beds, brick patio seating area, and a generous shaded porch. The backyard is perfect for playdates and parties, with its redwood deck overlooking the landscaped yard with mature grapefruit, pine, and camellia trees. A slate and decomposed granite outdoor dining area with custom stone table and chandelier sits across from a fire pit area and kids’ play area with tree swing. Just beyond, find an outdoor movie theater area under a giant redwood tree and two garage spaces.
This beautiful home was featured in Sunset Magazine in 2017, and The Container Store showcased the gorgeous and functional master bedroom closet on their blog. The kitchen has been widely shared on social media channels, receiving over 10,000 likes on Williams Sonoma Home’s Instagram page.
Centrally located: 2 blocks to vibrant Park Street, walking distance to great schools, steps from Express Bus to SF, close to Ferry, BART and casual carpool.
All photos: Thomas J. Story for Sunset magazine
- Upgraded kitchen: double-height semi-custom cabinetry with library ladder; DCS stainless steel appliances including double dishwashers, 36” gas range, oven/microwave, and 80” refrigerator; marble countertops; antique brass Waterworks faucets; copper farmhouse-style main sink and copper bar sink; custom hand-painted Fireclay tile and floor-to-ceiling Fireclay tile walls; custom display shelf; built-in breakfast nook with custom leather bench seating; beadboard ceiling
- Exterior paint
- Upgraded roof and gutters, sun tunnels & insulation
- Front yard with rose garden, multiple citrus trees, fig, avocado and maple trees, raised vegetable and flower beds, and brick patio seating area
- Redwood deck and stairs
- Backyard with mature grapefruit, pine, and camellia trees; redwood arbor and slate-floor outdoor dining area with custom stone table and working chandelier; fire pit area and kids’ play area
- Recently painted garage with electricity
- Outdoor movie theater area under a giant redwood tree
- Upgraded electric and plumbing
- Interior paint
- Restored wood floors
- Upgraded furnaces in both basement and attic with individual smart thermostats
- AC wired
- Custom moulding on doorways
- Restored sash windows
- Custom drapery by The Shade Store
- Installed Hardwired Somfy shades in dining room and master bedroom closet
- Statement light fixtures, most by Arteriors & Hudson Valley Lighting
- Thibaut wallpaper in guest bedroom
- Guest bath with antique brass Kallista fixtures, ultra-clear frameless glass shower doors, and custom hand-painted tile by Kelly Wearstler for Ann Sacks
- Master bedroom with Thibaut wallpaper and generous custom closets
- Master bath with custom Caesarstone shower and floors, Rejuvenation aged brass fixtures, and ultra-clear frameless glass shower doors
- Kids bath with upgraded tile floor and walls, Rejuvenation aged brass fixtures, and adjoining laundry